Friday 5 June 2015

"The Seed of your next artwork"





"The seed of your next artwork lies embedded in the imperfections of your current piece. Such imperfections (or mistakes, if you are feeling particularly depressed about them today) are your guides - valuable, reliable, objective, non- judgmental guides - to matters you need to reconsider or develop further. " - David Bayles and Ted Orland, Art and Fear.

The book I have been reading at the moment seems to be the right one for me. It is called 'Art and Fear' by David Bayles and Ted Orland. There are days in the studio when I walk in and everything seems to work smoothly. There is confidence and excitement. Joy and happiness in heart. This week wasn't one of those weeks though. I have been working on three other paintings, much smaller than the one's here now are just not working. I had to leave those three small canvases and start something new. Speaking of new, the above two paintings are new paintings, but I did have a painting underneath them. The work that I never liked, the work which never saw the light, at the exhibition hall. So I decided to paint over them.  After almost the whole week spending time in my studio finally I have completed these two work that I am happy with. The bird that I wanted to paint, just didn't look right to me on the canvas above, so had to go. Tough decisions had to be made. I am though happy with the results. But the bird has to appear again, maybe in another canvas. Another day when it feels just right.

Meanwhile I need to think about the three little canvases. Small work is always more challenging for me. I like painting big. I feel I can express myself better whereas in small canvases I need to plan more. And, I like working spontaneously.

Weather forecast for the weekend is looking quite good, maybe I need to go for a long walk, or catch up with my knitting projects. I need some time off my studio this weekend. I wonder how you overcome your artists block?